Skip to main content

A Civil War Widow's Pension (1899)

A few years ago, I obtained from the National Archives and Records Administration the civil war pension file for my ancestor, Christopher Tinkler (1834-1899)*, the first in this family line to be born in America.  In a family tree prepared by my great uncle Leslie Tinkler, Christopher's wife's name is given as Julia Carey.  Her name in the marriage record was Julia Ellen Carey.  It took some time to uncover her maiden name.  It can be challenging to find details about female ancestors.  Often the details of their lives are hidden in the records of their husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers.
 
Below is a transcription of an affidavit filed by Julia's brother, George Washington Kline, and sister, Lydia Ann (Kline) Nicholson, in support of Julia's widow's pension:
 

No. 707102
 
General Affidavit
 
Case of Julia A. Tinkler, Widow of Christopher Tinkler, Co. D 107 Ohio Infantry
 
Affidavit of Geo. W. Kline and Lydia A. Nicholson, Bethany, Illinois
 
Filed by Michael Shea, Decatur, Illinois
 
                                                                       
State of Illinois, County of Moultrie ss:
 
In the matter of Pension Julia Ann Tinkler Widow of Christopher Tinkler Co D 107 Ohio Inf.
 
Personally came before me, a Notary Public in and for the aforesaid County and State, George W. Kline, aged 56 years, and Lydia A. Nicholson, aged 63 years citizens of the town of Marrowbone Bethany County of Moultrie, State of Illinois well known to me to be reputable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declare in relation to aforesaid case as follows:
 
We lived in Stark Co Ohio knew claimant Julia Ann Tinkler all her life knew of her marriage to Charles F. Carey in May 26 1856 and know her husband Charles F. Carey Died October 16th 1857 all in Stark Co Ohio
 
We further know that Julia A. Carey the claimant married Christopher Tinkler the Soldier in Stark Co Ohio July 11th 1858
 
We further State that claimant was never married except the two times above named that her and Soldier lived together as husband and wife up to time Soldier was placed in asylum at Kankakee except the time he was in U.S. Service we further state that Soldier was not married ...[illegible]... to his marriage to claimant and that they were never divorced and that she still remains his widow.
 
We further declare that we have no interest in said claim and are not concerned in its prosecution.
 
            /s/ George W. Kline
            /s/ Lydia A. Nicholson
 

Sworn to and subscribed before me this day by the above-named affiant; and I certify that I read said affidavit to affiants, and acquainted them with its contents before they executed the same.  I further certify that I am in nowise interested in said case, nor am I concerned in its prosecution; and that said affiants personally known to me; that they credible persons and so reputed in the community in which they reside.
 
Witness my hand and official seal this 14th day of October, 1899

 
                                                                                                                        /s/ N. P. Mcguire

OFFICIAL SEAL                                                                                     Notary Public

 
My Commission will expire Dec 10 1899

*Tinkler, Christopher [alternate name Christian Tinkler]
BATTLE UNIT NAME: 107th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
SIDE: Union
COMPANY: D
SOLDIER'S RANK IN: Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT: Private
FILM NUMBER: M552 ROLL 109
INVALID APPLICATION NO.: 166512, filed 19 Jun 1871, Illinois
INVALID CERTIFICATE NO.: 156616
SPOUSE: Julia Ann Tinkler
WIDOW APPLICATION NO.: 707102
WIDOW CERTIFICATE NO.: 488385, filed 18 Oct 1899, Illinois

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating 20 Years of Discovering My Family History

Researching my family tree is an all consuming hobby.  Unfortunately, there are not enough hours in the day to devote to genealogy when there is also work, family and friends, obligations, and all the good and bad that goes with living life.  I first embarked on this journey 20 years ago, when my mother and I bought a PC and connected to the Internet for the first time.  Anyone remember dial up?  I used to come home from my long commute, start dialing up to CompuServe, have dinner, and wait to connect to the Internet.  It usually took 30 minutes.  Fast forward to now, when I lose patience if I get disconnected for a few seconds...

Solved! Mystery World War I Soldier Identified

In 2016, I inherited some of my grandmother's personal papers. This included some postcards from the early 20th century to her paternal grandparents, Frank and Mary Ellen (Ingersoll) Bryant of Los Angeles.  They were originally from Bloomington, Illinois.  The earliest postcard in the collection was from a soldier, Warren Allen, sent from Paris, France in about 1918.  When I originally shared this on my blog, I did not know how Mr. Allen was related to the family. There was also a 1930 postcard from Alice Allen of South Bend, Indiana addressed to "Dear Cousins": 24 November 1930 Postcard from Alice Allen to Mrs. R. F. Bryant from family collection. It turns out that Mary Ellen had a first cousin, Alice Louella Ingersoll, who married William E. Allen in Bloomington on 24 September 1890.  They had at least three sons, Howard, Warren, and Herbert, born in the 1890s.  Twenty-four year-old Warren William Allen (1893-1970), was working as a bookkeeper and residing in ...

Mystery Mail from World War I Soldier

Mystery Mail from World War I Soldier The above postcard or carte postale is the oldest item in my grandmother's postcard collection.  A W. W. Allen sent the card via soldier mail from Paris, France, to Mrs. Frank Bryant of Los Angeles, California.  The front depicts an early 20th century street scene at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.  The message says, "Paris 4/13 [April 13th] - I'm having a short vacation and a wonderful time.  W. Allen."  Mrs. Bryant (nee Mary Ellen Ingersoll, 1862-1936), originally from Bloomington, Illinois, relocated to Los Angeles with her family in the early 1910s.  She was my grandmother's grandmother.  Mr. Allen is not a known relative.  So who could he be?  Perhaps he was a neighbor or a family friend.  There could be another connection.  There is a later postcard postmarked November 25, 1930, from Alice Allen of South Bend, Indiana, to Mrs. Bryant which starts wit...