Skip to main content

The Bakers and the Champions

I spent a few hours this afternoon at the Los Angeles Public Library and found the following book: "The History of McLean County, Illinois," published by William Le Baron, Jr., & Company in Chicago in 1879. It contains a history of Normal Township which I will summarize later. In the business directory under Normal it lists Hiram Baker as a dealer in real estate. George Champion is listed as a dealer in hardware and tinware.

On page 831 the biographical sketch of HIRAM BAKER states:

"HIRAM BAKER, real estate, Normal; was born near Troy, N. Y., Sept. 27, 1818; son of B. and Lucy (Ives) Baker, who were of English descent. During his early life, he obtained a good business education, laying the foundation for future usefulness. He came to Illinois in 1837, locating in Fulton Co.; then, in 1841, removed to Peoria Co. where he was engaged in real estate some twenty-seven years; in fact, Mr. Baker has been a successful dealer in real estate thus far through life. He has improved a large amount of land; now owns 230 acres in the homestead located near Brimfield, Ill., and a large tract of land in Henry and Ford Cos.; altogether he owns 2,200 acres of improved land. He enjoys the reputation of being a public-spirited and highly respected citizen, having always taken an active part in all matters pertaining to the good of the community. He married Miss Sarah Frye, of Peoria, Ill., Feb. 16, 1847; they have raised two children -- Hattie P., now Mrs. George Champion, of Normal, and Frank R.; he married Miss Delia A. Sheton [Shelton], of Normal, June 3. 1875."

On page 832 the biographical sketch of GEORGE CHAMPION states:

"GEORGE CHAMPION, hardware, Normal; was born in the city of Bristol, England, Feb. 24, 1840, where he was educated; he came to this country with his parents in 1854, locating in Elgin, where he learned the trade of machinist, also that of a carpenter; he enlisted with the 69th I.V.I.; went out in 1862, and served to the expiration of his enlisted term (100 days), after which he located in Chicago, where he followed his trade until 1867, when he came to Normal and embarked in the hardware and tinware business, in company with his brother Thomas; this partnership continued until 1878, since which time he has managed the business. He is a practical business man, industrious and accommodating, and has built up a large trade. He married Miss Hattie Baker, of Normal, Jan. 6, 1869; they have three children -- Gertie B., George and Frank B."

Originally published on the MyFamily.com website on 3 June 2000. Edited for clarity. Comments are in brackets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating 20 Years of Discovering My Family History

Researching my family tree is an all consuming hobby.  Unfortunately, there are not enough hours in the day to devote to genealogy when there is also work, family and friends, obligations, and all the good and bad that goes with living life.  I first embarked on this journey 20 years ago, when my mother and I bought a PC and connected to the Internet for the first time.  Anyone remember dial up?  I used to come home from my long commute, start dialing up to CompuServe, have dinner, and wait to connect to the Internet.  It usually took 30 minutes.  Fast forward to now, when I lose patience if I get disconnected for a few seconds...

Solved! Mystery World War I Soldier Identified

In 2016, I inherited some of my grandmother's personal papers. This included some postcards from the early 20th century to her paternal grandparents, Frank and Mary Ellen (Ingersoll) Bryant of Los Angeles.  They were originally from Bloomington, Illinois.  The earliest postcard in the collection was from a soldier, Warren Allen, sent from Paris, France in about 1918.  When I originally shared this on my blog, I did not know how Mr. Allen was related to the family. There was also a 1930 postcard from Alice Allen of South Bend, Indiana addressed to "Dear Cousins": 24 November 1930 Postcard from Alice Allen to Mrs. R. F. Bryant from family collection. It turns out that Mary Ellen had a first cousin, Alice Louella Ingersoll, who married William E. Allen in Bloomington on 24 September 1890.  They had at least three sons, Howard, Warren, and Herbert, born in the 1890s.  Twenty-four year-old Warren William Allen (1893-1970), was working as a bookkeeper and residing in ...

Mystery Mail from World War I Soldier

Mystery Mail from World War I Soldier The above postcard or carte postale is the oldest item in my grandmother's postcard collection.  A W. W. Allen sent the card via soldier mail from Paris, France, to Mrs. Frank Bryant of Los Angeles, California.  The front depicts an early 20th century street scene at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.  The message says, "Paris 4/13 [April 13th] - I'm having a short vacation and a wonderful time.  W. Allen."  Mrs. Bryant (nee Mary Ellen Ingersoll, 1862-1936), originally from Bloomington, Illinois, relocated to Los Angeles with her family in the early 1910s.  She was my grandmother's grandmother.  Mr. Allen is not a known relative.  So who could he be?  Perhaps he was a neighbor or a family friend.  There could be another connection.  There is a later postcard postmarked November 25, 1930, from Alice Allen of South Bend, Indiana, to Mrs. Bryant which starts wit...